How to Manage Overthinking with Ease
The theme for the new moon happening on September 30 is all about the emergence of new, exciting goals. Dreams of love and money can come true in this happy and optimistic new moon.
Also during this new moon I will be preparing for and celebrating the
holiday of Rosh Hashanah. This is the Jewish New Year and we hope for a year of sweet thoughts and health. L’Shanah Tovah to all who are celebrating!
These days I’m stepping into being visible globally – I’m working on my first webinar ever (see below for more information)! I’ll tell you, it’s not coming easily nor naturally to me. These tasks involve tremendous time using my mind – thinking, planning, and connecting it all. My mission, though, is to make it as fun and authentic to me as possible.
However, I have begun to overthink during my planning. Yes, we all overthink, it’s just part of who we are as humans, but doing so can possibly elevate our stress or cloud our judgment. Being unclear, we might feel negative, lack confidence, have trouble sleeping, clench our teeth, talk too fast or not at all.
Sometimes we make up stories in our head because we are worried about everything. We get stuck in that story, and each day different aspects and perceptions in it grow. We get into the vicious cycle of overthinking. Do you ever find yourself in this position?
~ Empower ~ Embrace ~ Evolve ~
Steps to Manage Overthinking – with Ease!
1. Be aware of overthinking in the moment, and take a step back. Reflect on the thought and ask yourself: Why am I thinking too much? Why am I thinking about this? Why am I thinking this way? Is it worth my thinking or my energy? Is it true or only a worry?
In this exercise, practice taking control over the thought, so it doesn’t get bigger and overwhelming. It will help you make sense of it and minimize any stress that comes with it.
2. Try not to anticipate what will go wrong. Spiral thinking leads to fearing things that my go wrong. When facing this fear, turn it around and visualize what can go right for you.
3. See everything in perspective. Try not to make issues bigger than what they truly are. Be aware of the moments, and ask yourself if it is worth your thoughts.
4. Know that we can’t anticipate the future. Worrying about the future that hasn’t come yet is a waste of your time. Bring yourself to the present moment, and say, “Everything in the future will happen with my worry or without it. I may as well enjoy the moment!”
5. Let’s practice being grateful for the things we have, rather than what we don’t have. Make a list of the things you are grateful for in your life, place it in a visible place, add more things every day. I do this every night. Just be thankful!
6. Overthinking can make you feel that you are not good enough, not hardworking enough, not dedicated enough or failing. Make your best effort to show up every day by saying “Today I’m doing my best with the things that I can change, but not control.”
This eye movement exercise will help you instantly be in the present moment and slow down racing thoughts:
Take a moment in the day to sit comfortably. Take a deep breath, close your eyes, lift your pupils up (while your eyes are closed – don’t over-extend or frown), then let them sink down slowly. Repeat this for a minute or two. Don’t hold your breath when practicing eye movement exercises.
Over thinking is something that anyone can experience. The trick is how to have a great system for dealing with it every day, to reduce the symptoms that come with overthinking – like being anxious, stressed, and overwhelmed. Practice being aware of how to turn overthinking into something useful, productive, and effective.
Blissful & Peace,
The 3 Essential Steps for Vibrant Transformation
Are you stuck in old emotional patterns, and don’t like it?
Do you find yourself frustrated, with constant guilt?
I understand how you feel – constantly second guessing if I behave okay, did I say the right things, or hoping I didn’t hurt anyone.
Would you like to understand yourself better, and be aware of your emotions?
Join me on Wednesday, October 18th at 7:00 p.m. Eastern.
Replay available to all who register.
Other Upcoming Events
October 8, 2016
Santosha Holistic Center
http://www.santoshaholisticcenter.com/The Five Pathways to Empower & Awaken Your Feminine Soul
5 weekly sessions
Starts Sunday, January 15, 2017
Santosha Holistic Center
Early Bird rate expires January 8th!